Thursday, May 26, 2011

Patriotic Wreath

It was time for an updated patriotic/fourth of July wreath for my front door. I had to put the old one out of it's misery. So sad :(

So I went and got some new supplies:

1 grapevine wreath - $3
3 bunches of red, white, blue artificial flowers (from dollar store) - $3
1 star garland (from dollar store) - $1
Patriotic fabric (had on hand)

Total - $7

So I started with a basic grapevine wreath

and supplies

I just wrapped the garland around the wreath

At this point I pulled out my patriotic fabric stash and made a bow. Now I made this up as I went. I knew it didn't have to be perfect and I didn't know how it would turn out. Pretty happy with how it turned out.

Since it is made of fabric, I thought it was a little too "droopy" so I actually sprayed it with a clear matte spray paint to stiffen it up a bit. It worked! I know there is a spray stiffener product out there but I only needed a little bit so I improvised!

Then I added the flowers to the wreath and hung it up!

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Grandmother's Sewing Cabinet Redo

So in the spirit of refinishing some furniture, here is another quick redo project I just finished. I have had my grandmothers sewing cabinet for a while and have been using it. I have had this project on my to-do list for years and I finally got to it!

What got me going was when I signed up for a sample bottle of some paint. I chose this cool light blue color (totally blanking on the name right now). I got the sample bottle in the mail and thought it would look great on the cabinet. So off I went.

Pretty green right? LOL It was pretty beat up and chipped. I even had to pull off the moving sticker on it from 4 years ago! LOL

Since this was primarily worked on during nap times, it took me a few days to strip it and sand it down. I'm glad the paint came off easily. Then it was painting time. Couple of coats of paint and.................

I had new drawer pulls to put on this but they ended up not working out. I spray painted the original pulls instead and put them back on. Gave new life to this old girl!

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Dresser Redo

I'm not sure if I have admitted this before but I LOVE to refinish furniture! I guess it's the Norwegian in me. I just truly enjoy putting the life back into an old piece. There is one problem with having a love like this..................................................................I'm running out of space to store these items!

I had the opportunity to pick up a 3 drawer dresser that someone was going to throw away. I just couldn't let it go! There was still life let in this dresser. Here is what it looked like:

The drawer pulls looked like this:

Nothing special. I wanted this to be a quick project so instead of finding new drawer pulls I just spray painted them with silver paint.

And with a good sanding and a couple of coats of black paint....................

It has beautiful detail above the top drawer that was missed when it was natural but really pops when it's painted black.

I'm really pleased how this quick project turned out!